There are two transfer stations located in Thorhild County to serve the solid waste disposal needs of County residents only. Both operate on a bin system for all items.
Thorhild Transfer Station
(also accepts pesticide and herbicide containers)
Location: 60026 RR 214 (N1/2 of NE 5 60 21 W4M)
Directions: 1 mile East of Hwy 18 and 827 junction and ¾ mile North Hours of Operation:
Wednesdays - 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Saturdays - 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Click here for map
Notice to All Residents Regarding Disposing of Oil Pails at Transfer Stations: When taking empty oil pails to the Transfer Station, please ensure that all lids are removed from the pails.
Wood Products: Transfer stations will only accept wood products that are level with the sides of a pickup truck. Trailer loads of wood must not exceed the size of a pickup box. Any trailer with oversize loads of wood will not be accepted!
If you have questions, please contact Public Works at 780-398-3977.
Long Lake Transfer Station
Location: SW 9 63 19 W4M
Directions: ½ mile West of Hwy 831 at Long Lake corner (TWP RD 631A) then ¼ mile South
Hours of Operation:
Thursdays - 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sundays - 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Click here for map
The transfer stations do not accept:
- Radioactive waste
- Bio medical waste
- Propane bottles larger than 100 lbs
- Liquid sewage and sewage sludge
- Animal carcasses (or parts thereof)
- Live ammunition or any other explosive material
- Hazardous waste
- Oilfield waste
- Automobiles or parts thereof
- Small engines of any kind
Styrofoam is accepted, but it must be bagged in 26” x 36” bags.
All household waste must be bagged in 26” x 36” bags.
Transfer Station Rules
- Check in with the waste station operator
- Children or pets must remain in the vehicle at all times
- No scavenging – there is a “take and leave” building in place to deposit items that someone no longer wants, but which may be useful to someone else
- Sort waste and dispose in appropriate bin
- Cardboard and paper is to be sorted and put into the paper bin
- Beware of wildlife
- Random checks will be performed by transfer station operators
- All household garbage must be bagged in 26” x 36” green or black bags – grocery bags with waste will NOT be accepted.
Other Transfer Station Information
All fridges, freezers, air conditioners, water coolers or parts thereof and any other item that contains or may have contained Freon are subject to a charge of $20.00 per unit.
Propane bottles from camp stove size to 100 lb are accepted – all propane bottles larger than camp stove size are subject to a charge of $5.00/bottle
Household Hazardous Waste Roundup
Thorhild County no longer hosts an annual Household Hazardous Waste Roundup in June. The Thorhild and Long Lake Transfer Stations take materials year round.
Centers for Collection of Recyclable Waste
- Paper Bins
- Hamlets of Radway, Newbrook, and Egremont
- Long Lake and Thorhild Transfer Stations
- Bottle Depot
- Domo Service Station, Thorhild, 780-398-3813
- Thorhild Co-op, Thorhild 780-398-3975
Battery World, Edmonton 780-415-5626
- City of Edmonton Eco Stations
Household Hazardous Waste
11440—143 Street, Edmonton
Action on Waste
For all other recycling questions call 1-800-463-6326.
Solid Waste Collection Program
Solid waste is collected weekly in the following hamlets:
- Egremont – Wednesdays
- Newbrook – Wednesdays
- Radway – Wednesdays
- Thorhild – Fridays (recyclables collected every second Friday).
Waste must not be put out prior to 7:00 pm on the night before the collection day and emptied containers must be put away by 9:00 pm on the day of collection.
Please refer to Solid Waste Collection Bylaw 1145-2011 for more information on solid waste collection.
Waste Management Canada Transfer Station
link to phone number and location map